Leeds Cockpit

Best show, worst show, no show...

Leeds Cockpit

Postby terrier2 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Not sure the Gloucester gig could be surpassed, but it was very close. Mad at the front from the first song and the band and crowd really up for it. Norman, Love Parade and Mars Bars back in the encores.

Good to see Hawk again, Phil, Nora and the 2 Blackpool madmen, Johnny and Stu.

If any of the band read this, you were brilliant all tour and have a great last gig tonight. Long may it continue !!

Finally, keep and eye out for Doyle and the Fourfathers.
terrier2

Re: Leeds Cockpit

Postby Tony H » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:15 pm

You are spot on about the Cockpit gig in Leeds on Friday 9/12/11. What a treat. It's over 30 years since I saw the lads. (I hope we're all still at it in another 30!)

In or around 1978, from the mire of terrorism, '1 in 10' unemployment, and (worst of all) 'big haired rock' rose Northern Ireland's finest bog men. Just like me back then, The Undertones knew little and cared even less. They were innocent, straightforward and unpretentious - yet brimming with energy and the unadulterated passion of youth. I was 16. I liked beer, chocolate and girls.

The Undertones were called 'Ireland's 1st punks"- but I never saw them as punks. They just looked like me and my mates; unfashionably normal, non-confrontational, skinny and needle-sharp. I saw them at my first ever gig in '78 and I was simply more hooked than before.

And now, the best part of 35 fuckin' years later, whenever I get to thinking 'how on earth did I get this jaded?' I stick on an Undertones album.

I suspect that any reader aged under 30 will probably glaze over when you see some old gipper bangin' on about a time before you were born? But it was lovely to see youngsters at the gig last night.

Anyway, with The Undertones, it was all about the songs. I mean, it's not difficult - just crank up the volume, smile, leap around and listen!

So, to the 5 Undertones .. Many thanks to you lads - if you ever get to read this stuff. I'm deeply grateful to you.

Best wishes always
Tony Harte
Tony H

Postby hawk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Brilliant gig at The Cockpit.
Great venue - great crowd - great support band "Doyle & The Fourfathers" - really worth catching if you get the chance.

Undertones were outstanding.
Brilliant version of "The Love Parade" - "Smarter Than U" and of course every other number !!!
A fantastic evening.

Great to see Derek/Tony & Aidan/Terrier, Thommo,Ivor/Paul + daughter/Phil & Nora/Maurice etc.

Great get together after gig, lots of drink and chat.

Link to some pics + setlists:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/ ... ndertones/
hawk

Postby oliver02 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:29 am

Nice t-shirt Hawk, that looks just like the original from the 1980 hypnotised tour ;)
oliver02

Postby hawk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Cliff,

There was some shifty looking bloke at The Wedgewood Rooms trying to sell some dodgy looking T Shirts. :lol: :lol:
I thought, what the hell and took a chance - bought 3 - turned out OK !!!!

Cheers Cliff - excellent.
hawk

Postby Sire » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Tony H wrote:...And now, the best part of 35 fuckin' years later, whenever I get to thinking 'how on earth did I get this jaded?' I stick on an Undertones album.

I suspect that any reader aged under 30 will probably glaze over when you see some old gipper bangin' on about a time before you were born? But it was lovely to see youngsters at the gig last night.

Anyway, with The Undertones, it was all about the songs. I mean, it's not difficult - just crank up the volume, smile, leap around and listen!

So, to the 5 Undertones .. Many thanks to you lads - if you ever get to read this stuff. I'm deeply grateful to you.

Best wishes always
Tony Harte

Tony, what a brilliant post. A great read. As an old git I relate to so much of what you wrote.
keep posting fella!

Sire
=========================
Nos of Tunes on my I-Pod:- 762
Nos of UNDERTONES tunes on my I-Pod:- 61
=========================
Sire

Postby PhilofLeeds » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Hawk, looks like you were right behind me to my right - you've got my head in a couple of shots and my daughter.

Agreed - great gig yet again. I keep saying it to people but you just cant beat The Undertones.

Even bumped into an old school mate who I havent seen for years, who I went to the Bradford St Georges gig on the Hypnotised tour with !

Guys - come back to Yorkshire again soon !

One thought - anyone any idea why they dont play Chocolate & Girls live anymore?
PhilofLeeds

Postby oliver02 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Phil, I suppose to be fair when you've got so many great songs to choose from you just can't play them all! I'd love to hear "you're welcome" and "sigh & explode" even "chain of love". I remember when that was released a reviewer said he could listen to it 'til his ear bleed. Something I thought the band might have done on this tour was the B sides of the early songs because most of them are great. "Really Really" and "top twenty" were always favourites of mine.

Hawk, I must have missed that dodgey geezer, he probably scarpered when he saw my classy hypnotised shirts :D
oliver02

Return to Live shows