Anyone Remember THE COMMUTERS???

One you've heard The Undertones can you really listen to anything else!

Anyone Remember THE COMMUTERS???

Postby Sire » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 am

My Daughter has just told me that her best friends dad is reforming a band.
So mildly interested (expecting it to be a Jazz Quartet) I asked her more... and she said they were an old Punk Band from the 70's

So now my interest was a lot higher.
Now I can not remember them, but they were called THE COMMUTERS.
...and after a bit of googling, I have found some MP3s and picture Sleaves, and most interesting.....they had a song on an EP called... "LETS TALK ABOUT GIRLS"
Yes the same song as the belting track from The Tones on 'Hypnotised'. Now anyone know whos version was the original, or did they both 'Borrow' it.

I suppose I could check the sleave notes but the CD is in the car.....

So anyone heard of the COMMUTERS, and any stories to tell?????? ;)

cheers
Sire
=========================
Nos of Tunes on my I-Pod:- 762
Nos of UNDERTONES tunes on my I-Pod:- 61
Sire

Re: Anyone Remember THE COMMUTERS???

Postby hawk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 am

Sire,

Original by The Chocolate Watch Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alwPwdRve24

hawk

Sire - Did a bit more digging - although recorded by The Chocolate Watch Band I gather it was originally recorded by The Grodes (written by lead singer Manny Freiser) - mid to late sixties??
hawk

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:43 pm

The Chocolate Watch Band is available on one of the Nuggets compilations. I haven't heard the Commuters version, obviously enjoy the Undertones version but the CWB version is well worth it.

On the same compilation is the original of Just like Romeo and Juliet by Michael and the Messengers, the Undertones version being available on the Radio sessions CD. Again both versions very listenable.

Phil

Postby wilke61 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:31 pm

hi phil can you please tell where to find the link for the commuters thanks
wilke61

Postby Sire » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:53 am

wilke61 wrote:hi phil can you please tell where to find the link for the commuters thanks

Hi Wilkie

Try these links. This is the stuff I found, not much else though.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SpHqTmA5nV0/SYXcxHZOmmI/AAAAAAAAAlw/Dv8S-v9rO4w/s1600-h/Commuters1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SpHqTmA5nV0/SYXdxU1nFII/AAAAAAAAAl4/gWl2J1UVQpQ/s1600-h/Commuters2

3 of their songs here.....
http://www.mediafire.com/?djowudozmfy

Apparently My Daughter said they toured with the Clash
Sire

Postby Phil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks Sire,

I did that without moving my fingers!!

I will be checking out those links as well....
Phil

Postby ronnie larsen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:51 am

So anyone heard of the COMMUTERS, and any stories to tell?????? ;)

I'm hoping I'm not leading you astray here, but I had a 45 by a band called The Commuters, given to me by the drummer. Now I'm talking say 1982-83: the guy's name was Paul Turley, (so not the one mentioned on the record sleeve images you've found). I think it could be the same band, because he was based in Hatfield at the time, and "your" Commuters come from Luton, apparently - so barely 10miles away.
His parents and mine were friends so that's how I knew him, and we went to the same church. Anyway, being a 9-10 year old, I was very impressed that someone I knew was in a band that actually made real records. On the A-side of this single was a song called "Dear Marge", about seeking advice from a newspaper advice columnist in order to win the heart of his woman - something like that. Thinking back, the keyboards take the main melody - it sounds quite like The Cars - and in light of your search, maybe it sounds like a punk band attempting to evolve.
The B-side carried two tracks - an instrumental version of "Dear Marge" followed by a weird song called (and I kid you not), "You don't get crispy chips from new potatoes". As I recall, it was shit.
After The Commuters, Paul drummed for a band called Smalltown Elephants. Great name, but I don't recall them threatening the Top 40...
I last heard Paul was living in Spain, and was doing occasional session drumming. His folks still live in Hatfield, as do mine. And my dad still has that single...

Sorry this answer comes eight months after you asked, but I literally only stumbled upon your question when I Googled the name. After that attack of verbal diarrhoea, I just hope it's the same band....
ronnie larsen

Postby Sire » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:37 pm

ronnie larsen wrote:So anyone heard of the COMMUTERS, and any stories to tell?????? ;)

I'm hoping I'm not leading you astray here, but I had a 45 by a band called The Commuters, given to me by the drummer. Now I'm talking say 1982-83: the guy's name was Paul Turley, (so not the one mentioned on the record sleeve images you've found). I think it could be the same band, because he was based in Hatfield at the time, and "your" Commuters come from Luton, apparently - so barely 10miles away. ....

Hi Ronnie

I will ask my Daughter if these are the one and same. Her mates Parents now live in Hemel Hempstead close to Luton and Hatfield.... so it could be them!!!!

Thanks for the reply....

Sire
Sire

Postby rosieruby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 pm

I remember the Commuters, I was good friends with the lead singer's sister. I saw her a few years back. They did play with the Clash in Bournemouth - I remember getting the coach to see them. As far as I know Len who was the lead singer still lives in Hemel Hempstead (my friend lives abroad, sadly we have lost touch). I would love to hear if they are reforming as they were great at the time. If my memory serves me correctly the drummer died in a bike accident, his name was Tim.
rosieruby

Postby jumbojet » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi
I remember the Commuters very well.
I played drums for a Watford based band called The Bears. Tim from the Commuters played Bass Guitar for the Bears as well as drums for the Commuters.
We played several gigs together around 1979/80 if my memory serves me right.
The Commuters were a great R&B outfit - high energy rocknroll and Len the singer was a ball of energy on stage.
Thats very sad news about Tim dying.

Anyone know of any of the others ? - I would love to get back in touch with any of them if anyone knows their whereabouts.
Phil
PS - ANy knowledge of the ex Bears members also !
jumbojet

Next

Return to Other bands and other music