Anyone Remember THE COMMUTERS???

One you've heard The Undertones can you really listen to anything else!

Re: Anyone Remember THE COMMUTERS???

Postby rhythmboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 am

I remember the Commuters! I was a bit young to be going to the gigs, about 12 or 13 at the time I think but I thought they were a great band. I did get into Hemel Arts Centre at Heath Park and somewhere in Berko if I remember. I had a Commuters sticker, the band name in the shape of a guitar, on my school bag and I still have a copy of the Restaurant Buffet and Bar EP. Anyone remember the Ventilators who went on to be the Chiltern Volcanoes? They played with them a few times...another great band!
rhythmboy

Postby jumbojet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Sally
Has your sister managed to talk to John yet ?
Cheers
Phil

rosieruby wrote:Hi Phil

I will ask my sister about John. A reunion of both bands would be excellent! Are you not on face book? I think Peter Stanfield might be on there, i'm not sure if he is involved in the Commuters getting back together.

Regards

Sally
jumbojet

Postby rosieruby » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 am

I did ask her, she is going to find out where he is but she thinks he was badly injured in a car crash at the begining of the year. She thinks he lives in Berkhamsted. As soon as I find out any more I will let you know.

Sally
rosieruby

Postby jumbojet » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Sally
First the sad news about Tim and now this- terrible. I hope he's on the road to recovery.
Thanks for your help - I'll keep an eye on the forum for any updates.
Cheers
Phil
jumbojet

Postby Lostin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Yes, I remember the Commuters; in fact I still have four copies of Restaurant Buffet & Bar EP! (yes four copies……. long and very boring story)

http://www.mediafire.com/?djowudozmfy

My name is Phil, for those of you who maybe familiar with the EP sleeve, I knew Jules (Julian B) the 'Chief Engineer on the red nose express'. The address on the sleeve if I’m not mistaken was his mum’s house in Harpenden. Not far away from my own parents house.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SpHqTmA5nV0/S ... Commuters2

I saw the band many times in various pubs and clubs in the late seventies. One gig I remember was with the Bears in Watford and Tim did indeed play in both bands! One weekend I remember we saw them play in London one night and Cardiff the next (I think they were supporting Eddie and the Hotrods) Another weekend, I remember a gig in the East End somewhere, and a mate (Julian B’s cousin) and I got roughed up by a group of West Ham supporters in the car park outside.
Happy Days.

Please let me know In the event that the Bears or Commuters do a gig

I found this on Spotify: Bubble Car
spotify:track:1yze9vh41UJ6tqoEk5fTXY
I remember the track (live) anyone know anything about this recording?
Lostin

Postby jumbojet » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm

It all gone quiet ;)
ANyone managed to make contact with either Len from the COmmuters or John from the Bears ?
jumbojet

Postby katie_angel » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:32 pm

rhythmboy: my dad was in the chiltern volcanoes (aka the ventilators) he gave me one of his old band t-shirts today and i thought i would have a little look online to see what i could find on them.....wasn't expecting anyone to remember them!
katie_angel

Postby rhythmboy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Katie_Angel - I saw the Ventilators/Volcanoes many times, they were great. I can remember Jim, Tom, Si and Tim(?)...having trouble recalling the harmonica player though. Ask your Dad if he remembers playing in Berkhamstead supporting Marillion!! It happened, I was there!
rhythmboy

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Tim Murphy was the original drummer, til he let to work on a kibbutz. Greg drummed for a while after the Commuters split and was then replaced by a friend called Paul Ingram who played for many Hemel bands - great drummer, if only he could have played at the same speed all the way through a song :-)

Harmonica player was Sean Skinner. I haven't heard from Sean, Si or Tom for over 25 years but did get in touch with Tim Murphy some years back.

Remember the Marillion gig well - the dry ice was a bit ott and I dont think many people fully appreciated the flute solo.... I have some old pics which I put on my facebook page of us playing at the Kings Arms in Berko and Dacorum College.

Katie_Angel - who's your dad? Are you a Kemplen/Skinner or Tyler????

Cheers
Jim
Jim

Postby rhythmboy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:03 am

Sean Skinner...that was it!

Of course, the flute solo!!! Mick Pointer coming out from behind his oversized drum kit to play flute in his undersized shorts!!! I was there with Tim & Ben Wye and also Steven Wilson who is now in Porcupine Tree and produced an album for Marillion.

I;d love to see the old photo's...can you link to them from here?

M
rhythmboy

PreviousNext

Return to Other bands and other music