The Undertones - first album

A place to discuss the music.

The Undertones - first album

Postby MarkW » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:06 pm

The classic first Undertones album is re-released on Monday 2nd March. So how many of you are intending to buy it? I’ve already got the two versions of the album on glorious vinyl as well as the Castle CD version released back in 2000. I could understand it if some people’s reaction was to say “I’ve got all the tracks so I don’t need to buy this”. However, I’ll be snapping up a copy because a) it’s a dead cert that Mickey’s sleeve notes will justify the price alone and b) for some still unexplained reason my CD does not include the original (better?) version of ‘Here Comes The Summer’ - contrary to the track listing. I’ll probably try and sell my existing CD to someone at work who is currently sadly unfamiliar with The Undertones music in order to further their education….
MarkW

Re: The Undertones - first album

Postby Phil » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:03 pm

To be honest I haven't decided yet....

On the subject of the first album (original white sleeve/b&w photo) do I recall that the inner sleeve was available in two different colours on the original release?

And another question for those in the know - was the picture disc an official release or a shady bootleg? I can't recall seeing it back in 1978 when I was an avid collector of such items (badge shaped Police singles anyone?)

*update* - allegedly this was an Italian release in 2000?
Phil

Postby Sire » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 am

With the recent addition of 'anthology' and the 2000 UNDERTONES CD in my collection (plus the original Vinyl LP and all the Singles) ... nope, will not be getting it.
As my wife will ask "Why?" ....and I will try and substantiate an answer and know I will fail badly...
=========================
Nos of Tunes on my I-Pod:- 762
Nos of UNDERTONES tunes on my I-Pod:- 61
Sire

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Top tips to get away with buying the new cd-

Option 1
Placate her with flowers/chocolate
Option 2
Secretly substitute the 2000 cd for the new one, hiding the old one for an appropriately long period.
Option 3
Claim that you have discovered that cds can reproduce and that the new one is an "evolved" offspring, hence it not being identical, survival of the fittest etc etc
Option 4
Divorce (not recommended and more expensive than option 1)
Phil

Postby MarkW » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Or do what I often do - sneak it in when the wife is otherwise engaged and then reply “I’ve had it for ages” when she asks “When did you get that?”

Works pretty well for me – but rarely in respect of DVD boxed sets…… ;)
MarkW

Postby Sire » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 am

Great response Phil... so here goes....

Phil wrote:Top tips to get away with buying the new cd-
Option 1
Placate her with flowers/chocolate

Doing this already... Cost me stacks every time I go to a footy match, a concert, for a curry etc.. I am broke!!!

Phil wrote:Option 2
Secretly substitute the 2000 cd for the new one, hiding the old one for an appropriately long period.

She is a bloody hawk-eye. She found my Anthology CD hidden in the car and said.. "The tracks are all the same"

Phil wrote:Option 3
Claim that you have discovered that cds can reproduce and that the new one is an "evolved" offspring, hence it not being identical, survival of the fittest etc etc

I dont want to start topics on 'evolving' and 'reproduction'. It will start a conversation I dont want to have, at all...

Phil wrote:Option 4

ALready thought of that.... far too costly
Nos of Tunes on my I-Pod:- 762
Nos of UNDERTONES tunes on my I-Pod:- 61
Sire

Postby Phil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:15 pm

Sire wrote:
Phil wrote:Option 4

ALready thought of that.... far too costly

Ah but the exquisite feeling of freedom afterwards,

Signed,
The bitter and twisted divorcee who got over it
Phil

Postby MarkW » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Well my copy of the newly reissued first album has now arrived safely and very nice it is to. There’s an 18 page booklet with a great write up by Mickey on life in The Undertones during late 1978 – early 1979. One question – in referring to “She Can Only Say No” which is of course sung by John (any chance of performing this live again sometime?!) Mickey mentions that Billy is the only Undertone who has never featured as lead vocalist. Well I’ve been scratching my head to try and recall which song features Damian as lead singer. Can anyone confirm this please? I know I’ll kick myself when you tell me….
MarkW

Postby julius » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:21 pm

the new album is remastered, can anyone tell me what difference it does make?
I own 4 copies of the first album.
2 on vinyl, the dutch sleeve bought upon release, later on bought the LP with the original sleeve and same applies for the CD-versions and I have most compilations as well, I think I have about 20 albums and they released 6 albums and ? compilations.
julius

Postby nig w » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Not long found this site, but great site. What I'll do is say to my wife, look I have just got you a New free laptop so I have treated myself to this. Might work !! If not you won't be hearing from me again. :lol:
nig w

Return to The Music